Why won’t my welder spark?
- Make sure the connection to the ground clamp is tight and there is wire exposed.
- Check the Dinse connector and make sure the wire is screwed in tightly.
- Make sure the working surface, the connector and clamp are all free of rust and paint — grind the working surface if necessary.
- Make sure the ground clamp is within 12 inches of where you are welding.
- If the arc spatters and the weld does not stick, check the polarity.
- If you are using an extension cord, remove it and try the welder without it.
- Make sure you are pulling the trigger on the torch. If the unit is a cold torch unit, the trigger must be pulled for it to arc.